Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mutya ng Batangan 2011

 She's got flair for poetry and love for the environment

   "Make yourself at home in exceptional Calaca!" Was how Beverly Jan Magpile, former Binibining Calaca 2009 and the town’s representative to the province’s most prestigious search for Mutya ng Batangan 2011, describes her hometown.
    Currently taking B.S. Tourism Management at the De La Salle University in Dasmariñas, Cavite, this 20 year old beauty queen also happens to have a flair for poetry.
   “Poetry for me is not just a hobby,” Beverly said,” I started writing poems when I was in high school to express what I think and feel.  When I’m in the mood, the words just flow naturally. Though none of my works have been published yet, I feel that kind of satisfaction when my friends appreciate what I write.”
    Beverly happens to be a well balanced girl who loves the outdoors with friends but also enjoys the comforts of home with her family, books, and pet cats.
   When in the mood, aside from poetry, the artist in her also draws and reads books, real printed hardbound books.
   Despite the internet where she can get every reference she wants, Beverly still prefers the book.
    “I prefer books, the printed, hardbound books that I can read before I go to sleep.  Staring too long at the computer monitor is unhealthy for the eyes.  With books, I love going through my favourite parts again and again. I still find it fascinating,” Beverly added.
   A happy girl through and through, Beverly, also known to her friends as “Bev” says her town, Calaca, and her family gave her a happy childhood.
   "Calaca has natural, cultural and historical attractions such as its abundant beaches, our very own calacatchara festival, and the nearly 200 year-old Calaca church that we cherish,”Beverly added,” and of course, the Calaquenos, the people we love have that natural charm and hospitable mindset that draw local and foreign tourists here.”
   Her home in Calaca, according to Beverly, is incomparable to any town, especially with its homegrown product, the atchara, the pickled papaya that is considered the perfect appetizer to any viand.
   “While lechon is the king of every fiesta table, only Calaca’s atchara mixed with the lechon sauce can complete the dining experience and make every bite a perfect taste of what’s really delicious,”Beverly said. “And its only here in Calaca.”
   According to Beverly, despite the progress in her town, its natural resources was never taken for granted.
   “We know that our environment is our responsibility.  And we draw our strength from the environment that we protect because it’s not just a source of living today, but also the future of the next generation,”Beverly quipped.
   For an environmentalist who also represents her town, Beverly’s flair for poetry also draws strength from the environment that gave her a happy life, and more poems to come to complete the perfect picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment